From the heart

Four black teens in Philadelphia with nothing other than weekly tranpasses and opinions. Still, the criticism and general interpretation seem to change from day to day regardless of aforementioned teens consistency.

Whatever. We're not doing anyone some terrible injustice, and we don't claim to be changing the world or enlightening the folk beyond belief or recognition. Credences, food for thought, images, a few laughs here and there, and opinions are all that we can offer you. Whether you choose to accept or decline, you are here, as are we, daily.

To face the rain or sunshine, parade or riot, cookout or Saturday detention..We ride Septa.

- Til' the very end, Nya Ari, Samir S, Trent XIII, and Hez

Monday, May 18, 2009

Prom night

After seeing countless friends off to prom, taking pictures, eating the food, and wishing the couples safe and fun nights. I came to the sudden realization that I had neither desire nor intent on attending my own Senior Prom. Now I think it's kind of funny that I decided this at the most insignificant of moments,on the bus. Only because I have spent the last six or so months brushing my family and friends off by reassuring them that I would make my departure, from a limo, with a dress on, accompanied by a male date, on the night of Prom without fail unless I was to have my priveledges revoked by the discipline office.

Lo and behold! Here I am months later, owner of all priveledges, but no prom objective. How do ya figure?

The end of Senior year is supposed to be characterized by prom season. So I've been told anyway. Shopping around for dresses, dashing around for a date, tuxes, stressing over makeup and hair..All for one night. Somehow I'm found to devoid of any of the enthusiasm displayed by my peers. Thinking back, I've never been excited by the idea of a Prom night, although it seems like the rite of passage for everyone else. But let me clarify, this is no attempt at dissauding anyone else from going.

If it weren't for the excess of wardrobe, I more than likely would be there alongside of my 500 fellow seniors. But my evening and eighty dollars could be better spent doing something that I enjoy in my favorite jeans and a t-shirt. Dressing up is just something that I don't think I will ever grow accustomed to. I'm the type of girl who would rather wear a bow tie than a skirt on any given sunday. There's no specific reason for it, that's just the way that I was born and meant to be I suppose.

Yup, at this point I will not change my mind, and there is no way in hell that I'll be anywhere near the chosen venue on the night of June 4th. There are few things that I end up regretting, and I guarantee that this is not important enough to be one of them. Cheers to everyone that is going/has gone. After-prom parties, and trips I'm down for. The actual event? 'Fraid not.

.N ari

No comments: