From the heart

Four black teens in Philadelphia with nothing other than weekly tranpasses and opinions. Still, the criticism and general interpretation seem to change from day to day regardless of aforementioned teens consistency.

Whatever. We're not doing anyone some terrible injustice, and we don't claim to be changing the world or enlightening the folk beyond belief or recognition. Credences, food for thought, images, a few laughs here and there, and opinions are all that we can offer you. Whether you choose to accept or decline, you are here, as are we, daily.

To face the rain or sunshine, parade or riot, cookout or Saturday detention..We ride Septa.

- Til' the very end, Nya Ari, Samir S, Trent XIII, and Hez

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Award Tour Summer 2009: Born to Run

sdf1

The Award Tour


I think I was it was the end of 9th grade when I used to lurk Hypebeast.com's WDYWT forum. It was a foreign concept to me and still kind of is but, I remember that there was this Haitian named "Lochness" who used to post. That was the only reason I continued to look at the forum, I liked to see what he was wearing everyday. Between my stalking his blog and myspace I finally wound up the courage to ask Dude how I could go about buying a belt. Unbeknowest to me they had been sold out for weeks but he was still really chill about it. We exchanged a few friendly messages filled with nothing but small talk and that was it. Realistically he probably doesn't even remember that we had a conversation.

Never did I ever think that I would be able to buy one of his shirts at a local sneaker shop. But opportunity finally knocked. Samir and I made the trip downtown the morning of the "first drop" because for whatever reason I felt obligated to support this kid that I had only spoken to once or twice, and more importantly I needed something to wear to Six flags the next day. A few weeks after that I returned to buy my friend a shirt as a gift, there were still plenty more shirts on the shelves because I guess no one had caught on yet. Since then it seems that the awareness of "The Award Tour" has grown even more and now has followers from all over Philadelphia. No, the country.

The days when I could walk into Abakus Takeout and casually grab a tee or two without worrying whether I could pickup the same thing, in a different color a few days later are long since gone. It is insane what a few months and word of mouth can do. In November Abakus held a party for The Winter Season of The Award Tour and the store was packed, there were lines outside, I got to meet Phil, the night was great overall. And it's fantastic to see that there's still a place in Fashion for people with good hearts who create quality products.

Cheers Phil.

No comments: