From the heart

Four black teens in Philadelphia with nothing other than weekly tranpasses and opinions. Still, the criticism and general interpretation seem to change from day to day regardless of aforementioned teens consistency.

Whatever. We're not doing anyone some terrible injustice, and we don't claim to be changing the world or enlightening the folk beyond belief or recognition. Credences, food for thought, images, a few laughs here and there, and opinions are all that we can offer you. Whether you choose to accept or decline, you are here, as are we, daily.

To face the rain or sunshine, parade or riot, cookout or Saturday detention..We ride Septa.

- Til' the very end, Nya Ari, Samir S, Trent XIII, and Hez

Sunday, May 24, 2009

One year

Yesterday was the one year mark for We ride Septa, fantastic. Although none of us posted, the day was not ignored but the majority of it was spent in a car. As some of you know Septa is none too pleasant when the sun is pouring out from the sky, no matter how picturesque it might be. There always seem to either a loud unnecessary conversation being carried out on a nextel, or someone burning into your skin with their beady little eyes while you're trying to make that special connection with the blue suede and metal seat. So we ended up opting out and piling into a friend's Range Rover. One seminar, a quarter of a cookout, half of a dinner, three's zeroeth's of a movie, and four fifth's of Cold Stone later we all parted ways. Unfortunately not all of us could be there due to whatever circumstance, so the pictures aren't exactly a representational of "WRS" but they had to be taken anyway. You'll see them at a later date.

To the bottom Left you'll notice a list of Contributors, the "Crevices of the mind" has had it's fifteen and has now been chopped into Quarters. Fantastic right?
__________________________________________________________________

samir


Samir

The first time that I talked to Samir he told me that he didn't like Jordans or SB's because they were obsolete but collected T-shirts and skated the ice creams that you could buy at footlocker . I considered this to be his way of letting me know that he was mentally retarded. But he had good taste in music for someone "special" so after a series of intense disagreements we became friends. Really good friends, the kind that accompanied eachother on craigslist meetups and sat around for hours trying to put drawstrings into eachothers hoodies. With a little bit of help Samir got me my first serious cell phone, and took me to the best concert of my life, amongst some other notable favors which would take years to list. Samir is the one who tries to lighten up every situation, and manages to make everyone feel comfortable even if it's at his own expense.And now close to three years laters, here we are, sharing a blog, and still arguing while enjoying eachothers company.

hez


Hezekiah

Summer School is a bitch, and led me to be downtown almost every day from June until August. Last year between lunch breaks and the train rides home I thought that I was paid and spent a lot of my time down on Walnut Street or at Abakus Takeout. I would see Hezekiah every trip, without fail. At the time I didn't know his name and identified him in my head as "That kid with the shoes who's always fucking smiling". I can't remember how I even began talking to him but I'm sure that it probably involved sneakers. Since then he's been my go-to guy everytime that I need to just talk, or need to sell an item. Basically Hezekiah is genuinely the nicest guy that I have ever known in my entire eighteen years of living. The type of kid who would literally give you the shirt off of his back, and if you wouldn't accept it he'd probably hop on the sub and go downtown to buy you a new one. On top of all of that he has the nicest sneaker collection of anyone that I know in Philadelphia, let alone his age group. Someone who is funny enough to make us laugh, but smart enough to attend one of the best schools in the city had to be on the blog and "family".

trent2


Trent

I see Trent close to every single day. He doesn't concern himself with the latest sneakers, clothes, accescories or gadgets. Trent is the musical guy, the lyricist, and the profound wonderer of the world. Not so much a profound wonderer as a profound philosopher though. When I'm lucky he'll call me to tell me about something he's noticed about the world, or girls, or life in general that I'm usually bound to agree with, I'm just never quick enough to point it out first. When we had Spanish class together in 10th grade Trent was the one who always seemed to be fidgeting in his seat to some song inside of his head, and when walking the halls from class to class his eyes always said that he was someplace else. I don't look at many people and recognize that they'll have some major effect on my life someday, but Trent was one of those people that I recognized from the beginning. I don't always understand or agree with him and that's probably how it's meant to be, but Trent is one of my best friends and I was thrilled to say the least when he agreed to leave his blog and join our family here.


Here's to an additional 365, or 730, or 1095, or 1460..

No comments: