From the heart

Four black teens in Philadelphia with nothing other than weekly tranpasses and opinions. Still, the criticism and general interpretation seem to change from day to day regardless of aforementioned teens consistency.

Whatever. We're not doing anyone some terrible injustice, and we don't claim to be changing the world or enlightening the folk beyond belief or recognition. Credences, food for thought, images, a few laughs here and there, and opinions are all that we can offer you. Whether you choose to accept or decline, you are here, as are we, daily.

To face the rain or sunshine, parade or riot, cookout or Saturday detention..We ride Septa.

- Til' the very end, Nya Ari, Samir S, Trent XIII, and Hez

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Untouchable

DSC_0278


In a lot of ways I am one of the worst types of people that you will ever encounter. There are the self-centered, the clueless, the bigots, the snakes, the type-A personalities, those deemed strange, those who choose not to bathe on a daily basis, the anti-social, the cowardly, etc. Included in the et cetera category would probably be those deemed acquisitive beyond good health or normal standard. That would be me.

I can't sugar coat it or disguise it with it's synonyms like "penurious, possessive, niggardliness, etc". Basically, I am a greedy muhfucka and accepting of the fact. It has always been important to me to have at least $50 in my wallet. Pockets really, since I was only ten or eleven when the avarice began to take over. But that's a lie too. The first sentence that I ever put together was "Me- Nya.".

Snow shoveling, car washing, lemonade stands, dog walking, house cleaning, tutoring, selling clothes, selling sneakers. As time carried on (like it has the nasty habit of doing) my work ethic was rewarded with a steady payroll. Summers consisting of odd jobs turned into Ten hour work days and cash at the end of every week. The Months in between were plotted by academics and wasting life at The Metropolitan Bakery. Unhappy and unsatisfying as it might have been, it was money. Money is money regardless of origin, right?

Although I am sure that you are intrigued beyond belief by all of this background and personal information, I am getting somewhere with all of this, I promise.

There is a place for all of us. But the specific location or title is not as important as whatever sentiment and knowledge is gained or lost during the given traverse. At Eighteen years old I am finally with a job that I can be proud of and can honestly say that I would work with or without pay. That's quite the leap from the money hungry soul that I have been in the past, with little under a decade beneath my working belt I've come to realize that when you finally get paid to do something that you love, the only work that's left to be done is showing everyone who you are, and exactly what you are about.

Clearly I am not finished with my education (since my parents just paid for a full year of college) but, being able to photograph subjects, for a good amount of wherewithal has definitely opened up my eyes to things that went unseen prior to. As far as life's plan for me go, I have options.

In my perfect world, Marvin Scott Jarret would appear before my very eyes, at this very moment, and beg me to write and photograph for Nylon. But, until that happens my only priorities include manifesting this particular entity, and enjoying my life while continuing to build upon my skills.

Belittle my accomplishment if you feel the need to but, as of now, in my own mind, I am untouchable.

DSC_0799

1 comment:

Caas said...

who would belittle this? it's fuckin' AWESOME. go you!

hi nya =)