From the heart

Four black teens in Philadelphia with nothing other than weekly tranpasses and opinions. Still, the criticism and general interpretation seem to change from day to day regardless of aforementioned teens consistency.

Whatever. We're not doing anyone some terrible injustice, and we don't claim to be changing the world or enlightening the folk beyond belief or recognition. Credences, food for thought, images, a few laughs here and there, and opinions are all that we can offer you. Whether you choose to accept or decline, you are here, as are we, daily.

To face the rain or sunshine, parade or riot, cookout or Saturday detention..We ride Septa.

- Til' the very end, Nya Ari, Samir S, Trent XIII, and Hez

Sunday, October 25, 2009

This should be easy


DSC_0765

University life has turned into everything that I expected it to be; The drinking, the parties, the madness in the residence halls, the cafeteria food that makes you long for broccoli and beef (..fresh, and REAL from home), the bad room mate, the good room mate, the ramen, the good teachers, the bad teachers, the "broken alarms clocks", midterms that cause some to stay in their rooms for days (afterwards)..The students.

Dear Readers,

As much I love being down here, and enjoying this charmed life..I might be dead by the end of this year. All jokes aside there have been two deaths on campus that I know of, one kidnapping, and at least three separate "region" fights. You probably won't ever hear about any of it because that's how well they can keep stuff hidden.

Less than one hundred yards away from my residence hall a girl was robbed, and then stabbed to death by a group of locals, another girl was kidnapped in broad daylight in front of the dining hall. Groups from New York and DC felt the need to prove to each other (physically) which city "goes the hardest", more ambulances outside of my dorm.

Somehow I'm beginning to question my personal safety, and my decision to stay here or to transfer to Temple U.

If it weren't for the friends I've made and the confidence that I have in my teachers I'd probably be gone by the end of this semester. Everything down here has grown on me, despite anything that I might have said, this is not a bad school.

Homesickness doesn't bother me anymore, I like missing Philadelphia. Who's to say that the crimes on campus at Temple aren't as heinous and well hidden?

What to do..What to do?

Being in the middle of nowhere is okay with me. Worrying that there might be a masked killer in the corn field bothers me a bit, but it could just as easily be someone in my Composition class, or any troubled local.

..Reader I am asking you(s), I'm in need of an opinion outside of family & friends..

What to do?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feeel u they wil'n at hampton u as well where I go. A ball player got killer recklessly by mishandling a gun. In there has already been like 3 rapes here so far . I was just talking bou this wt my girls. I don't understand these security guards be so hype for you 2 take ya hat off , or these ra's be hype 2 tell u 2 turn ya music down, that they miss the real things. We out in the suburbs out here in hampton, I don't know why someone of these children tryna rep. We here 2 get that education. Just do dat! N chill b!

Caas said...

I'm pretty late with this, so I hope you notice it. My friend who goes to your school is transferring to Temple next year, but her reason is homesickness. She told me about all that stuff though, and I was pretty damn worried.

As a Temple student, I haven't heard of any crazy crimes or anything outside of the usual terrible Philadelphia news, which doesn't seem to touch our campus.

But if you really like VSU, I think you should stay. You're smart, and even though trouble can find anyone, I think you'll be okay. Maybe you could start an initiative to improve campus safety... or would that be too corny? Ha. A whistle and some pepper spray might be good investments...

It is a tough decision. Good luck.