From the heart

Four black teens in Philadelphia with nothing other than weekly tranpasses and opinions. Still, the criticism and general interpretation seem to change from day to day regardless of aforementioned teens consistency.

Whatever. We're not doing anyone some terrible injustice, and we don't claim to be changing the world or enlightening the folk beyond belief or recognition. Credences, food for thought, images, a few laughs here and there, and opinions are all that we can offer you. Whether you choose to accept or decline, you are here, as are we, daily.

To face the rain or sunshine, parade or riot, cookout or Saturday detention..We ride Septa.

- Til' the very end, Nya Ari, Samir S, Trent XIII, and Hez

Thursday, June 11, 2009

So I guess this is goodbye

Coming home from my classes "Senior Picnic" today (which was plagued by rain, cold, and watered-down beverages)I walked into the house and wanted nothing more but to sleep. You know as well as I do that it never seems to happen that way so, before heading up the stairs I glanced at the mail pile and noticed a little orange and blue emblem, making it a letter from Virginia State. Still wanting a nap, and maybe to chase it with a shower afterwards I reluctantly opened the letter.

The years prior to 12th grade I'd never pictured myself getting into any type of University, let alone having a room mate. Here I am seven months later, a week away from palming a diploma, saying final goodbyes, opening letters with information on my room mate and subsequently, prepping for my "College Journey".

Thirteen years of education folks! The New Jersey public elementary system, a prestigious Private School that I'm happy to be out of, and finally the Philadelphia School district. It seems like just yesterday that I was laying out on the grass during my first day of Kindergarten wondering if my classmates would like me. Today I rode a yellow bus probably for the last time in my life (unless for whatever reason I become a bus driver or teacher). Yesterday and the day before we received cap and gown as well as our beautiful yearbook. All of it was bittersweet and while I may have complained about the school year casting itself out into the ranks of infinity and eternity,apart of me wishes that I could rewind back to the first day of Freshmen year.

Like it or not Central High school is known throughout the Country. When visiting Texas I had on a Central t-shirt and was asked, "what class number?". That is all types of warm fuzzying, mind boggling kind of love. Truth be told we're not the best academic high school in the city, I can recognize that. But, in terms of diversity, athletics, and everything else on the scale there is quite honestly no place that I'd rather have been. Over the years I've gained friends to lose some, been to places that others could only talk about, and learned things about myself that would have remained a mystery had it not been for Central. Next week is the end of the Two Hundred and Sixty Eigth Classes circuit together but, as I was telling a friend earlier:

nygetm0ney (10:34:13 PM): I'll miss everyone too
nygetm0ney (10:34:36 PM): but we're moving forwards in our lives to do wonderful things and to change the world in different ways. Really really, we are the future that we seek.
nygetm0ney (10:34:47 PM): and we have to get there in order to change it
nygetm0ney (10:34:48 PM): :)

In less than four months I'll be out of my Mt. Airy Castle, away from the downtown scene of Philadelphia, an alumnus of Central High School and no longer an employee of Metropolitan Bakery. All to be thrown to the lions of the real world. Well, to be thrown to the kittens of College Life, within the gates of a Medium sized University in the small town of Petersburg Virginia. Although I imagine myself traveling to Richmond and Carytown on the weekends now, and transferring to a school in California after my first year..I really have no idea what life has in store for me. Regardless I plan to embrace it with arms wide open.

-To the 268th class. It's been a pleasure spending my last four years with you, through hour long assemblies, fires in lockers and trash cans, scan fees, metal detectors, broken computers, and anything else that we were put against, I don't regret a moment of it.

Next Wednesday will mark the very first day of the rest of our lives, as will Tomorrow. Accomplish what you will.

"We are the future that we seek."- Barack Obama

No comments: