From the heart

Four black teens in Philadelphia with nothing other than weekly tranpasses and opinions. Still, the criticism and general interpretation seem to change from day to day regardless of aforementioned teens consistency.

Whatever. We're not doing anyone some terrible injustice, and we don't claim to be changing the world or enlightening the folk beyond belief or recognition. Credences, food for thought, images, a few laughs here and there, and opinions are all that we can offer you. Whether you choose to accept or decline, you are here, as are we, daily.

To face the rain or sunshine, parade or riot, cookout or Saturday detention..We ride Septa.

- Til' the very end, Nya Ari, Samir S, Trent XIII, and Hez

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Hater

I don't believe in the term hater although I may have referred to someone by it a few times. If called a hater some ten years ago the recipient most likely would have said something along the lines of, "you just took a verb and turned it into an adjective. There are some blanks that need to be filled in somewhere within your English education, bul.". Somewhere between the rise of money rap and mirrors on the backs of cell phones, everyone became obsessed with themselves. My Mom does it, I do it, youtube users do it. We are all guilty.

Accepting a flaw or disagreement is out of the question nowadays. Any suggestion or even a wrong glance is now immediately attributed to "haterism". Taking responsibility or even considering constructive criticism was left behind a few years ago. Who really wants to admit that the real reason people don't like them is because either they are nauseatingly obnoxious, exude an annoyingly false confidence, lack a sense of hygiene, or are just a plain ol' douche bag? Nobody. So, as a remedy someone decided to coin the term hater. After all why should we ever have to just accept that we are not perfect and that not everyone is going to be bowled over by the fact that we exist?

Just by even thinking of typing up this story I will be thrown into the hater category. All the same, it cannot go untold:

Two years ago, being the brilliant student that I was (hahaha) I was sitting at Lunch cramming for some midterm. Sidenote: Studying at lunch is never the best idea. Especially if it is the only studying that you will be doing. In between exchanging note cards, and writing Spanish words on tiny slips of paper that would later be forgotten anyway, I was intercepting a conversation being held by two girls in my grade. One was stand able, likable even. The other insufferable. "I've come to a stunning realization. My haters don't hate me. My haters adore me. My haters want to be me. My haters love me.". Now, adore would have been a stretch when talking about any one's feelings towards her but, love? I've come across my fair share of people who don't use 2% of their brains but this was ridiculous.

Why is denial more acceptable than owning up to certain negative traits and either choosing to continue on bearing them with pride, or making a change? Having a contradictory or adverse opinion these days either makes you a hater or the bad guy. Compliance and showering everyone with flattery is the only way around being labeled a hater. Neutrality doesn't even work with some people. And God forbid that anyone ever say anything repugnant about weight loss, volume of dialect, The Clipse, Cookie boots, The current administration, or Twilight.

Clearly all haters go straight to hell once they meet their demise. So you, nor I want to be a hater and cannot even dream of disliking the word. I'm sorry to say but if you were in agreement with anything that I said, that makes you a hater. Also if you were not in agreement with anything that I said, that makes you a hater too. There's nothing left to do but hate the fact that the term hater exists, and that makes you a hater as well.

No comments: