From the heart

Four black teens in Philadelphia with nothing other than weekly tranpasses and opinions. Still, the criticism and general interpretation seem to change from day to day regardless of aforementioned teens consistency.

Whatever. We're not doing anyone some terrible injustice, and we don't claim to be changing the world or enlightening the folk beyond belief or recognition. Credences, food for thought, images, a few laughs here and there, and opinions are all that we can offer you. Whether you choose to accept or decline, you are here, as are we, daily.

To face the rain or sunshine, parade or riot, cookout or Saturday detention..We ride Septa.

- Til' the very end, Nya Ari, Samir S, Trent XIII, and Hez

Friday, June 5, 2009

Hair

Cutting my hair is something that I've always said that I'd never do. Only because I've felt that it would make me less "straight adajacent" than I already am. Sidenote: I just skewed the term "gay adjacent", I'm actually not that clever. But, with the end of one stage approaching, heralding the rise of another. There really couldn't be a more charming opportunity.

The days of blowing the random wisps out of my eyes, or flinging my head around in an attempt to create some sort of motion with the ever-shortening mop untop of my head will soon be no more. Tomorrow morning, preluding The Roots picnic, the "Locks of Love" will be gone. They really haven't been locks of love since last Summer when some Woman got ahold of them and attempted to tame them,permanently. It's been a downward spiral since then and, I'll be happy to see it gone. No more walking up the stairs on late nights, rubbing grogging eyes, and climbing into the bed only to realize hours later that I've failed to wrap a scarf around my head. And no more constant combing throughout the day.

Looking into the mirror besides the couch now I'm reminded of how much I hate it. It's black kind of brownish straightness, the fact that it's connected to my head, apart of me, immediately the primary focus when one's eyes are not cast downwards. In fact, I hate it so much that I'm dedicating a post to it. Even moreso that I have arranged to have it diminished. Just not entirely, styled even. I'm not as extreme as I'd like to be.


This is my long drawn out announcement and agreement with India Arie. You'll see tomorrow,I am not my hair.

No comments: