From the heart

Four black teens in Philadelphia with nothing other than weekly tranpasses and opinions. Still, the criticism and general interpretation seem to change from day to day regardless of aforementioned teens consistency.

Whatever. We're not doing anyone some terrible injustice, and we don't claim to be changing the world or enlightening the folk beyond belief or recognition. Credences, food for thought, images, a few laughs here and there, and opinions are all that we can offer you. Whether you choose to accept or decline, you are here, as are we, daily.

To face the rain or sunshine, parade or riot, cookout or Saturday detention..We ride Septa.

- Til' the very end, Nya Ari, Samir S, Trent XIII, and Hez

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Crevices of the mind: Fashion


Before I start ranting..No, I'm not finished the "Best 0f 2009" yet..I didn't forget about it though!

Now unto the rant.

I change my career as often as I change clothes. But today, yesterday, the day before, the week before and the month before.. I wanted to be a stylist. "You shouldn't care so much about what you wear and you won't make any money that way, they're only clothes"

Not everyone can understand that with the exception of a hungover Saturday or Sunday, I think about what I wear and it really wouldn't be a good day if I just rolled out of bed and threw on a sweatshirt. Does that sound shallow to you? Maybe you don't understand either, what is your definition of personal style? Steez?...Fashion?

Style; A quality of imagination and individuality expressed in one's actions and tastes.

Steez; I jumped up from my sleeping arrangement, rubbed my eyes threw on a white tee and turned my steez on. My steez is never to be confused with your "swag"

Fashion is the opposite of effortless. Fashion is that certain je ne sais crois worn above the collarbone that says "Fuck you, I do care. Maybe a little bit too much even".

Fashion is standing in the mirror for an hour asking yourself "what about this outfit is mine? How do I separate this shirt from the logo? What makes this my belt, and not Louis Vuitton's?". Fashion is borrowing an idea, and turning it into something that you can call your own. Fashion is that "Must you consistently dress up for class" look that you get from your peers adorning sweatpants and crusty eyes.

Fashion is a commitment to quality and originality. Fashion is turning a laptop case into a briefcase, turning an "Oh you bought that because Pharrell wears it" t-shirt into a "Fuck you, I bought it because I had the money and it compliments the hypnotiq stain on my jordans" T- SHIRT.

Fashion is dirty. Fashion is clean. Fashion says "I'm taking a risk wearing this outside of my room but fuck it, and them if they have a problem".

Fashion is timeless. Fashion is the ageless classic. Fashion is cuffed khakis, and slacks. Fashion is tucked in cashmere shirts with $20 plimsoles. Fashion is an untucked and wrinkled white tee paired with $300 gucci sneakers.

Fashion can't be limited to heels, chukkas, oxfords, laceups, or boots..Fashion is talking to your suitcase full of streetwear apparel "I own YOU. You don't own me." Fashion goes as far as dirtied white vans, "I'll only ever be worn on this occasion" nikes, and Jordans that you swapped out for wingtips at the last minute

FASHION is the fading ink on a receipt, telling you that the price doesn't matter. Fashion is in a steel doored, security guarded "luxury items" store. Fashion is in a small thrift store on walnut street that you might pass by if you're not looking for it. Fashion is in your Mom's blazer that you borrowed, or inside of the shrunken wool fibers of your brother's vneck sweater

Fashion is a lot like love, it is wherever you find it and can't be limited to a certain socio economic level, clique, genre, brand, or price range.

Yeah, labels make fashion but, can you really put just one label on it?

If I don't change my mind, and I don't make any money..I'll be sure to apologize to anyone who still doesn't understand the significance .

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Fashion, intrinsically, is actually the exact opposite of timeless. Fashion is the little cousin of trend and ties exactly with the sentiments that nothing ever stays sacred. Fashion today is not fashion tomorrow and it's sort of created this obsession with brands and labels instead of the details in a garment or the personal message an item actually conveys. The season to season shift fashion represents is more about conformity than anything else, that what one wears is actually supposed to be dictated by celebrities, brands or trend reports. As an individual, i just think it's important to find the medium that suits both your character and your honest taste. You can't wear fashion 7 years from now. For the same reason you won't wear now what you considered acceptable 4 years ago. Fashion, technically, is all runway and all right now and isn't realistic... it just seems to be a distraction from the things about individuality and personal style that are actually tangible. Albeit, a lot of fashion is higher quality and the keen ones can differentiate from what makes sense and what's just silly. I understand what you're saying about buying something "fashionably-acceptable" or high end and making it your own but wouldn't one say that is purely uninspired anyway? I think that what you describe actually has more to do with the word style. Which is inherent, personal and uninfluenced. But in my opinion the individual will never thrive by being concerned with the fashion driven world. Even if separate "i'm excluded from this" clauses are created.

i'm actually really sorry, I just had a strong 2 cents and it kinda leaked out all over. I'm not making fun of the way you structured your post, it just came out that way... hopefully it contributes some interesting insight in the opposite direction. just food for pontification. :-)

Nya Ari said...

I've been owned, unintentionally..But all the same, you've given me something to think about.

"I think that what you describe actually has more to do with the word style. Which is inherent, personal and uninfluenced. "

Thanks for the comment, I like to hear what other people think..Even if it makes me feel stupid haha.

Nya Ari said...

"Fashion, intrinsically, is actually the exact opposite of timeless."

Out of laziness, I turned this post in for a fashion studies paper. My teacher said the same thing, minus "intrinsically".


Good food for thought Bryan.