From the heart

Four black teens in Philadelphia with nothing other than weekly tranpasses and opinions. Still, the criticism and general interpretation seem to change from day to day regardless of aforementioned teens consistency.

Whatever. We're not doing anyone some terrible injustice, and we don't claim to be changing the world or enlightening the folk beyond belief or recognition. Credences, food for thought, images, a few laughs here and there, and opinions are all that we can offer you. Whether you choose to accept or decline, you are here, as are we, daily.

To face the rain or sunshine, parade or riot, cookout or Saturday detention..We ride Septa.

- Til' the very end, Nya Ari, Samir S, Trent XIII, and Hez

Friday, April 17, 2009

The day of silence



I didn't participate although some people seem to think that I should have. My excuse was that I did not (and still do not) entirely understand the point of not speaking for twenty four hours. Not only can I not fathom how to not utter a single word for an entire day, but most importantly I would rather have people scream at the top of their lungs for the entire day.Why screaming instead of saying nothing in order to adress the anti-homosexual sentiment? To me screaming would express my (and possibly others) frustration towards every homophobic comment, mindset, and stereotype.Am I crazy for thinking that it might have made sense for the "silent people" to pass out pamphlets,or maybe give speeches on what it is that they are ömitting their freedom of speech for? Clearly there are enough people that think otherwise, since there were at least thirty people (attempting to be) quiet today at Central.

People are homophobic without even realizing it and the only way to fight that ignorance is with education,silencing yourself does nothing. That's how I look at it anyway.

.N ari

1 comment:

sjb121 said...

true talk; i mean the kids who did it in my school were silent all day, and as a result i didnt even notice them friday. It would be more effective to actually teach people than to just silence yourself in fade in the background